Sampling Stations Overview:
Madden sampling stations are designed to save time and cost in your efforts to monitor and maintain good water quality in your boiler processes. The essential elements for true representative sampling are precise temperature, pressure, and flow control. Our systems achieve this with a reliable, pre-assembled design.
Our turnkey sampling stations provide a ready made solution for safely grabbing steam and water samples. Simply mount the station where desired and run the sample lines to the panel and install a drain line. These analyzing stations are often made with an inlet manifold for multiple sampling connections. No need to source and install valves, gauges, sinks, or brackets.
We offer (2) main designs, one designed around boiler water grab samples for feed water analysis, condensate analysis, and D/A water analysis, and the other designed for steam analysis. These designs utilize our Type 1 SC0003 sample cooler for water samples and our Type 2 SC106 sample cooler for steam samples. You can review all our other sample coolers here to see if there’s a better model for your particular application.
Features of Complete Boiler Water and Steam Sampling Panels:
- Fast lead times: We keep our SC0003 and SC106 sample coolers in stock along with the rest of the equipment so that a complete station can be built in 1 week or less.
- Counterflow Cooling: Madden sample coolers utilize counterflow cooling for efficient knock down of hot boiler samples.
- Long Service Life: Minimal pressure drop, vibration, and scaling equates to long service life. The standard sample coolers used in Madden’s (2) sampling stations utilize a steel outer shell that can be disassembled for cleaning and maintenance and the sample tubing is made of 316SS. The outer shells are available in 304SS as an option on all units.
- Simple and Effective Design: As with most of our products we like to focus on providing a turnkey solution without compromising reliability. Wherever possible we utilize Swagelok compression fittings to eliminate potential leak points. For instrumentation we provide simple analog temperature and pressure gauges for the operator to confirm ideal sampling conditions. If higher tech analysis is preferred please contact the factory with your specifications to integrate automated analyzing instruments.
- Doesn’t Interrupt Boiler Processes: With these completed sample cooler panels there’s no need to stop any of the boiler room processes to grab and test the water quality. The feed water can continue to run. Condensate can continue to flow back into the system, and the D/A can run interrupted all while your chemical personnel pass the hot sample through the cooler to test immediately. No need to wait for the sample to cool or risk burning the operator’s hands.
General Start-Up/Operating Information:
The sampling stations are low pressure drop systems used for monitoring boiler water and steam quality without shutting down the boiler system. They are compact and provide a virtually maintenance free solution.
Start Up: When grabbing a water or steam sample follow these basic steps:
- Open cold water valve and ensure consistent and steady flow.
- SLOWLY open the sample valve and adjust the metering valve to your desired flow.
- Double check the temperature and pressure gauges to confirm optimal sampling conditions
- Purge the sample line before grabbing a sample. As a rule of thumb, it is recommended you allow three full line volume lengths to pass through the sampling station system before grabbing your sample.
- Close off the valves in reverse order.
WARNING: ALWAYS CONFIRM COLD WATER FLOW BEFORE OPENING THE SAMPLE LINE. Opening the sample line without cold water flow could potentially boil the stagnant cooling water on the shell side of the system from a previous grab sample. We have included a relief valve on the shell side outlet to help ensure operator safety for this potential human error.
Water or Steam Sample? As another general rule of thumb ~ 1 square foot of heat exchanging capacity is adequate to cool a water grab sample. For tempering steam for analyses, it is recommended that at least twice this capacity is utilized. For water based samples, our standard SC201-0003 sampling station provides 1.3 sq. ft. of heat exchange, and for steam based samples our SC201-106 provides 3.8 sq. ft. of heat exchange.
HAVE MORE QUESTIONS OR NEED TO BUY A SAMPLING STATION?
For further discussion on a boiler water or steam grabbing sampling station please feel free to contact our factory directly or one of our local sales reps near you. We would be happy to help review your application and/or discuss any changes you need within the panel design.